Sarah K. Benning is an American fiber artist with a nomadic studio practice (primarily splitting her time between the U.S. and Spain). She ...

Good-looking and colorful plant embroideries stitched by self-taught artist

November 17, 2016

Sarah K. Benning is an American fiber artist with a nomadic studio practice (primarily splitting her time between the U.S. and Spain). She is from Baltimore, where she attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and obtained her BFA in Fiber and Material Studies. She graduated in 2013 and she quickly discovered her love for embroidery almost by accident and the hobby rapidly turned into her full-time career.
She is known as self-taught in the craft of embroidery even though Sarah’s formal training and background are in the fine arts.
Over the course of serval years and a load of trial and error, the artist has developed a very distinct embroidery style and aesthetic. Besides the exhibition and selling finished pieces, Sarah shares her interest of embroidery through a monthly Pattern Program and occasionally teaches workshops and master classes.
“I am a one-woman show and each piece is carefully hand stitched, packaged, and shipped by me.  I do my best to update my shop about once a month. However, things tend to sell very quickly, which is why my shop always appears to be 'sold out. Drawing is a major part of my practice, so I keep sketchbooks of ideas, composition thumbnails, plant details, and textile diagrams to aid in the creating of my stitched works.  These sketches then come together as final designs by re-drawing them directly onto my fabric with pencil.  The under drawing gets completely covered up with the stitching.  This process allows for a lot of revision and experimentation before I get down to sewing”, she wrote on her website.
On the 1st of every month, she releases a new DIY pattern and PDF package jam with information and insider tips on how you can create your own stunning piece of modern embroidery.


 

 





loading...


You can see more on her website.